Friday, February 8, 2013

I told you so.....

I remember when I was getting things ready for college and picking out the kind of decorations that I wanted. I was picking out a lot of stuff that I really liked... Softball, Church, Youth, etc. My sister laughed and told me, "You'll never believe how much your interests change when you spend a little time in college." I didn't really want to believe her because I knew that I would always support my home church, come home to spend time with the youth, still work at camps... all of that stuff! Well, my first semester I did that, but this semester I've kind of stepped back.

I'm noticing that I'm still my crazy, goofy self, but most importantly... the thing that didn't click before... I'm God's work in progress. As much as I talked about God's plan over mine, I was working on my plan. I wanted to get my future taken care of so it would be one less thing to worry about. 

Where I messed up? I kept talking about my past. I can't move forward if I'm too worried about my past. That's where I think it gets messed up for preachers. Since I was always in that mode and I still am because that's a goal for me in life, I would talk about my past to help others not do what I did. It's a great thing to do when you're giving a sermon, helping people realize where you came from and the things you've gone through. BUT... and this is a big but.... that's what the Bible is for, isn't it. Jesus showed us how to live so who are we to tell people how to live from our mistakes?

Maybe that was a little too bold. Just a little bit? The thing is... we are ALL sinners. It's a fact of life. Jesus? He was PERFECT. His life on earth is THE PERFECT EXAMPLE! Let's start depending more of Jesus' life instead of our own to help people get through things in their life. 

I can't talk much because most of the time I'm still stuck in my past.... but maybe... just maybe... doing this... showing the good example will bring Heaven down to earth. Here's to praying!

"You heavens above, rain down righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness grow with it; I, the LORD, have created it."
~Isaiah 45:8

UOI,
Becca


No comments:

Post a Comment