Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It's What?!

I was raised in a Christian household... we did not miss church on Sunday Morning! When I got older I went to the youth group very faithfully. I actually ended up being an intern for the youth minster. I got my calling into the ministry when I was going into the seventh grade and ever since then I have tried my best to be the best Christian that I could be. 

It was so easy for me to be a goodie two shoes when I was back home, but now that I'm in College I find myself constantly facing temptation. I'm not home with my parents constantly reminding me what to do or not to do, going to class seems like more of an option after late nights, and even more... some of my biggest morals about relationships are being tested.

One of the biggest things that I hear when I am receiving advice is, "It's College". That is an amazing answer when I want to go out and have fun, but it has really got me thinking lately. What if we said that for everything... "It's Class", "It's Homework"... and most of all... "It's Christianity". What does that look like? We would probably be more dedicated in everything that we do. 

If we-- I looked at Christianity in that way I don't think that I would be doing/saying half of the things that I do. I would call some of things mistakes, but that term doesn't do it justice. I know that these "mistakes" are going to occur most of the time, and I don't wish them away at all, however; I know that God put these temptations in front of me for a reason. Maybe for me to make my own decisions about life and want/desire a relationship with Him. That's the amazing thing about the Lord, He created us and gave us free will because he doesn't want us to feel like we HAVE to love and respect Him, he desires us to, be we have to figure it out for ourselves. The sad thing is that we can hear testimony after testimony about how someone went from the joint to Jesus and I still desire to make my own "mistakes."

I went to a church service this past Sunday and the preacher started out his sermon telling us to write down all of the sins that we committed in the past week and after awhile we were going to go around the room and share. The feeling that I got? "Oh shit." (And that is as honest as it gets) Do you ever get that feeling? Even though it might be so right, it's not... and we know that too. 

So where do we draw the line? Where does Christianity start in our life, and where do we let it take the back seat? I wish I could be the one to tell you "what's up", but I'm afraid I can't. 

Why?

"It's College."

UOI,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment