Friday, January 10, 2014

Throwing Myself in the Snake Pit...

That phrase made me think. 

The snake pit? Humm... I wonder what that would be really like? When most people reference that they think of stupidity leading to pain. Is that really true?

The first sermon that I ever preached was at Clarksville First United Methodist Church. Of course it was about fear because I had no idea what I was doing. I was afraid that I was going to say something that would make someone mad or irritated. The scripture that I used was "Daniel and the Lion's Den."

Did anyone ever tell Daniel that he was "throwing himself in the Snake Pit?" Daniel knew that what he was doing was wrong in the way of the land, but I allow think He understood the plan. If we make Daniel a little modern, I would imagine him discovering that it was all a set-up. Maybe his prayers were a way to "stick it to the man." Daniel knew that he wasn't like by the others so was his prayer life genuine or was it all a fake? 

It says in the scripture, "But when Daniel learned that the law had been signed, he went home and knelt down as usual in his upstairs room, with its windows open toward Jerusalem. He prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God. Then the officials went together to Daniel’s house and found him praying and asking for God’s help. So they went straight to the king and reminded him about his law. “Did you not sign a law that for the next thirty days any person who prays to anyone, divine or human—except to you, Your Majesty—will be thrown into the den of lions?”" - Daniel 6:10-12

Daniel continued to give thanks to God. What did He have to be thankful for? He had a group of people that were trying to kill him just because he was loved by the King! Wouldn't you be mad at God if people kept giving you the stink eye for the things that you do, even if you knew it was right? 

I think about the present time with the internet and the things that people say. I'm just as guilty as anyone, I see something that I can argue about or make a point on and I don't think twice about posting it. I want to make my opinion known to the whole world and when I see a good article defending my thoughts, I'm going to post it! I never realized how stubborn that sounded until yesterday. I was talking on the phone with one of my best friends and after telling him how stressed I was by putting my opinion on someone's status he replied to me saying, "Becca, you're throwing yourself in the snake pit." 

Am I really though? Who is right and who is wrong in this world? Is it true that just because I believe in God that I have something behind me in everything that I say? When does it become wrong in the eyes of God?

These are all questions that I ask myself daily. I don't understand how to answer them right now. All I do know is that no matter what I do, I need to continue being thankful in all circumstances. I need to continue being thankful for the people that want to throw me into the pit of despair. It's really hard not to attach feelings of boastfulness and pride to that, but maybe that's something that I need to work on! 

I'm still learning... 
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment